Friday, October 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Skylar


Happy Birthday to my princess Skylar.
9 years ago my sister and I were pregnant at the same time. She had twins weighing around 6 lbs each the on the first week of October. I remember that day as much as I remember Skylar's own day of birth. Since she was in labor off and on for over a month I think. I thought I kept having pregnancy symptoms. Finally when she had her babies I really started feeling strong Braxton Hicks. On October 20th I went to L&D with pain. They checked me and said I wasn't very thinned out or dilated much but they felt her "head". They were quite sure her head was down low so that could be causing the discomfort. The next day I went for my usual OB appointment and I told him and he decided to go ahead and do an Ultrasound. I guess it was a type of stress test? They wanted to monitor Skylar being only 36 weeks gestation and I was dilating some, like I was at 3 centimeters. They said she would only weigh 3 or 4 lbs. They didn't think there was any way she would weigh more than 4 lbs. They said they were watching her on Ultrasound to see if she would make movements more than 3 times in thirty minutes. She didn't move in those thirty minutes. The Ultrasound Tech gave the Ultrasound over to the OB who stayed with me. Dr Bailey was the greatest while I was pregnant! With the weight of the news that was a tiny tiny baby and the worried scramble of the Ultrasound Tech and Doctor it didn't help me ease my worry. I knew I was in labor. I knew there was something wrong. I did try to tell them she was probably just sleeping. She wasn't as active as her older brother. Donnie, my boyfriend at the time tried talking to her since she would usually respond to one of our voices. We tried shining a light at her. There was no movement close to 45 minutes. She was also Frank Breech. He talked about an aversion. The thought scared me to death! Eventually he checked me again and I was still about 3 or 4 centimeters dilated. He sent me to L&D to hook me up to the monitors. The OB office was inside Gordon Hospital in Calhoun, GA at the time so I could just walk down the hall way and through the big doors to get to Labor and Delivery. By the time they got me hooked up I dilated to 6. I was dilating quickly and the labor wasn't going as it did when I had my first. General signs I won't go into too much detail here (TMI).. So they paged the doctor and started paperwork for a c-section. There was no time for the aversion and it was too risky now. There wasn't enough time to even have my family there, or the biological father and his family. Donnie made the calls while they were prepping me. They did the epidural spinal block (I disliked that Anesthesiologist long before I was ever in labor by the way.) When the doctor was swabbing my tummy with the iodine? He started poking me with a  sharp object and I said I FEEL THAT! He said oops they pushed Donnie in the OR and back out again and the next thing I know the Anesthesiologist had me by the throat and was giving me gas through the oxygen mask. I had to have general anesthesia. When I started coming too the same thing always bothers me that tube in your throat for stabilization. Once I got that out I was talking to the nurse. My mom had called so I was talking to her. I hadn't yet seen Skylar or Donnie. I heard Donnie in the hall way begging to come in to see me. Finally they let him in. He counted all her fingers and toes for me. 10 each! But he said she had to have an X-ray. I then worried I had never heard of giving a baby an X- Ray. I didn't find out till years later when I actually read her record that she had a problem being born and her first Apgars were very very low. 
Finally they brought her to me and she was perfect just the tiniest baby I have EVER seen in person!
She was due on November 17th but came early on October 21st 
KStar Design.com
KStar Design.com
KStar Design.com
KStar Design.com
KStar Design.com

Photobucket

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v396/Sntfrmgod4me2lve/personal%20tags/Picture%20Tags/Bella-Siggy-3.jpg

No comments: