Monday, April 22, 2019

A day in the life of autism

I’m struggling with something. My son is 9.5 and has complex adhd and Autism. I also have other children 16-34. My 16 year old is a beautiful smart neurotypical girl who identifies as bi and is accepting of the LGBTQ+ community.  I’ve gotten enough judgmental eyes about my well behaved, National honor society rule abiding 16 year old for being “bi”...I try to NOT think everyone is judging me when my son is being hyper or has to be structured, emotionally immature or has struggles with fine motor skills or any thing else associated that makes people on spectrum special and I’m an advocate for acceptance but it’s a struggle to not think people are not judging my child or myself.  When I go out to eat and my son is in constant motion or eats something with his fingers. I’ve also been very careful to not judge another persons parenting style. I get snide remarks like he’s going to have to deal in the real world. Yes by the time he enters the real world he will learn or master coping skills. Then there is such a thing called The Person with disabilities act. My husband is on the spectrum and had a successful 24 year military career. They can and will be successful as anyone. I can and have raised a child that is well mannered and smart. My youngest is no exception. So how do you get past the knee jerk reaction of being judged? It hurts enough when children judge my children. Yet I don’t completely blame them either. It’s just e.x.h.a.u.s.t.i.n.g. I don’t even want to think about those with disabilities that aren’t invisible. 

No comments: