Friday, November 9, 2018

Communication

“The foundation to any relationship: Child/parent, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife, and friendship, is communication. Without communication trust nor a bond can be created. It’s the most simplest form of nurturing.” -Dayna Loranger


   Watching Greys Anatomy last night, Maggie and Jackson have to figure out their love language. They communicate in different ways, and they need to find a mix or happy medium that works for them. First, he bailed on Maggie without a word and barely kept in touch while he was gone, but then she finds out he's talking to other women, and he turns it on her and says that it's because she doesn’t communicate with him.


Jackson: When is the last time you let me in at all. About anything. 


Maggie: So you went and got it from someone else. 


Jackson: Maggie, yeah. I find it easier to open up with people who open up with me.

You run every time it gets complicated, Maggie. You hide.


Over the years I’ve heard all the excuses... a friend says..”...you have enough I don’t want to burden you with my issues.” My reply, “You are my best friend not a burden on me.” 


Then I have a friend that finds me too emotionally charged. So if I’m emotional she shuts herself off. Does that seem like a place where I can truly be myself? 


Ok so I know the whole men are from Mars thing... I know men struggle with communication in general. Especially if they are on the spectrum. Spectrum or not someone won’t open up to you if you are not open yourself, if you shut them down when they are most vulnerable, if they express concern and it turns into a fight. Sometimes people need to take criticism. It’s healthy and it’s communication. Sorry to disrupt your fantasy with my reality! 


I sit and think for hours how lonely and empty I am. Loneliness doesn’t come from not having people around you but inability to communicate the things that seem important to oneself and receive compassion, understanding, to be validated and not dismissed, and a good and willing listener. 


“You and your feelings thoughts securities are just as important as the other persons! “ - Michelle Jorden




Greys anatomy credit to TVfanatic.com



No comments: